Tuesday, September 28, 2010

1/72 VF-1A Unfinished


Just need some panellining and decal to finish.

Last week i am working on this kit and it took me 3 days to reach the current result, this is the second successful spray painting attempt on my kit and it is pretty successful despite it is not complete success.


I mainly used these 2 spray paints and usd some bit of the gold spray that i used for some parts. I would say the brown paint result reach my intended target though the white paint is still less desirable. i guess either i need primer or the white paint is too strong.


Same issues with my 1/72 VF-1S which are gapping in the plane head and the legs and i have found the cause of the problem is the wheel gimmick that stretch out the connections between the parts. Probably next time when i built VF-1J Max and Miliam i won't use the wheel gimmick at all. I will definitely finish this kit by the end of this week.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Yami. I recently acquired the VF-1J version of this same type of model mainly for nostalgic reasons. I had tried making one or two a long time ago when I was a teenager. Of course, those kits are lost in time. While it is probably the best of the old kits from the 80's, I remember how tricky this particular kit is. So I'm taking my time building it VERY VERY carefully. Thank you for reminding of the issues with that whole section involving the landing gear and front of the legs. The problem is that there are a lot of tight, moving parts and very little connection between the two leg parts. Luckily Bandai is currently making a brand new version of this model in High Grade quality. Thank God(s)! So if I get another one it will be the 2013 version.

    You mentioned the Tamiya white not being adequate. The thing with Tamiya is that their sprays are VERY thin, which has the advantage of preserving detail without covering the lastic in thick coats but also the disadvantage of one having to buy more than one can EVEN with primer! But they are perhaps the best sprays for models and it's worth getting white or grey primer and applying it first because the end result can be very satisfying.

    Now I know that there are master modelers that make these things better than you or I would, but I think your build looks really good. It makes me happy to see this thing assembled. Keep on building!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest to get putty for this kit because there are way too many seamlines on the kit which is one of my regret for this build.

    ReplyDelete